Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Goodbye summer

Fall is definitely here.  Tonight we actually have a frost warning.  Yikes, a little early for me.  I was busy in the garden tonight doing some last minute picking of basil, tomatoes, peppers, raspberries and ground cherries just in case it does frost, which I'm almost sure it will.  I could see my breath when I was picking and the sun hadn't even set yet!


The leaves on the trees are starting to show small amounts of fall colors, the air feels and smells different and the landscape is slowly turning from green to golds, oranges, reds and browns.   This is the time of year when I really start to notice the cattails everywhere.  You can usually find red winged blackbirds sitting on top of  the cattails.   Their cheerful song is always a welcome arrival in the early spring and I'd like to think they will hang around into late fall, but I'm not sure.  Living in town, I miss out on this.

After picking all of my fruits and vegetables, I stood there for a few moments looking over my garden, I knew that tonight I was saying goodbye to this years garden and to summer.  As much as I don't want summer to be over, I feel a shift in me starting to happen, I was fighting it at first and then without knowing it I'm painting and feeling fall. 


among the cattails copy flickr

1 comment:

Janet Ghio said...

Wonderful redwing blackbirds!

Related Posts with Thumbnails