Sunday, June 3, 2012

15 Random Things About Me

nature in red
                                                                                           "Nature in Red"  available here


  1. I love, love, LOVE to play hockey.
  2. Running is my anti-depressant.  I feel so much better physically and mentally when I do it.
  3. I started out in college in Fine Arts, changed to nursing after a year and a half,  graduated as a RN,  went back to art school 3 years later but was only able to do a year because it was just too much for me to go to school and work evenings and night shift at the hospital.  I quit working as a nurse 2 1/2 years ago to be a SAHM and work on my art.   Now I really wish I had my art degree!  Maybe someday:)
  4.  I haven't used shampoo or conditioner on my hair for 3 years!  I used to use organic hair products until I read an article in my local food cooperative about carciogens in "organic" personal care products.  You can find loads of information about this and so much more at the Organic Consumers Website.  I now use baking soda and water to wash it and then apple cider vinegar to rinse with.  I only wash it once every 2-3 weeks.  I do get it wet everyday in the shower though.  I've never used anything on my kids either!  No one can even tell the difference.  I got my inspiration from Amy Karol over at Angry Chicken, and my recipes from here 
  5. As soon as the weather warms up I go barefoot as much as I can.  It makes for  some pretty dirty feet, especially when I've been out in the garden!
  6. I look forward to Mondays.  It always feels like a fresh start, new beginnings and wide open possibilities.
  7. I love the sounds of crickets, thunderstorms, rain and waking up to Howler monkeys in the tree tops at night.  (I got to experience this in Costa Rica, Panama and Brazil)
  8. I've always dreamed of going to the Amazon and made it there 9 years ago with my husband.  What a truly amazing and spectacular place.  Someday I'd like to take my kids there to experience it.
  9. I take a nap every afternoon with my 4 y/o Amelia!  I never used to be a napper  until 2 years ago when my husband laid down with her a few days in a row and then she wouldn't sleep by herself, so I started laying down with her.  Initially it was very hard for me to take the time out of my day to do this, but now it is something I look forward to.  Our little saying before we fall asleep is, "pillows together, hands together".   She has  to hold my hand in order to fall asleep.  Very sweet!
  10. I fell in love with chickens after traveling in Central and South America.   Ever since then  I have always wanted chickens.  Part of the deal when we moved back to Wisconsin from Idaho was that I could chickens.  We've been back for 3 years now and I still don't have chickens, but I will soon!
  11. I get REALLY obsessed when I am reading a really good book.  I can't think about anything else except reading it.  I even make deals with myself in order to read more.  For example I will tell myself things such as, if you vacuum the kitchen you can read a couple more pages, or once you hang the laundry you can finish up the chapter, while supper is cooking you can read a few more pages.  It  can get kind of exhausting!  Needless to say I haven't read any fiction books lately, though I'm starting to feel the urge to get lost in a book for a few days.
  12. I could listen to Moby all the time.  ( actually I do!)
  13. I am allergic to horseradish and celeriac(celery root).
  14. My favorite late night snack is peanut butter toast with a glass of milk.
  15. I'm an introvert.  I was so shy in high school that everyone thought I was just stuck up, but really I was just too terrified to talk!  I thought that going through nursing school and being a nurse would help me face those fears and force me to interact with people and it did just that and I'm very thankful.  I can't wait to read the book by  Susan Cain, "Quiet:  The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking." 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow! I love the links to your hair care. Love it. I think that's awesome. And I go barefoot, too! It's kind of dangerous out on the farm LOL

Related Posts with Thumbnails