Tuesday, June 5, 2012

To-Do Lists


poppy


I think it's time for me to start taking my art a little bit more seriously.  I have to-do lists of things pertaining to my art and the business side of things that need to get done, but I never seem to have time to get around to this list.  My art always seems to take the back burner to everything and everyone else.  For the most part I've been okay with this.  So much of my time is invested into my family and taking care of them, but I'm really feeling like I need to start making something more out of my art and take it to a level higher.  I feel like I'm ready to do this!

I've never been much of a list maker, but over the past year I've gotten better about it and have realized that it really takes the stress off of me to put things on paper instead of having them float around in my brain all the time cluttering things up.  I have enough daily distractions without adding more to it.


fields of dandelions


I've been making weekly lists of things to do around the house and also with my art.  All of my chores get accomplished every week, but my art business  list gets totally neglected. Why do I do this  I wonder?  I'm not making much money at it for starters, so I feel guilty when I do put time towards it instead of doing things around the house, I almost feel like I'm wasting my time when there are other more important things to do.  Sad thing is, sometimes those more "important" things that I feel I should be doing are things like cleaning the bathroom or vacuuming.  I really need to learn to give my art biz some quality time and not feel guilty about doing something that I truly love to do.  I really want to be able to make this work and make some money at this and not have to go back to work as a nurse. I know that this is possible.

I need to change my mindset.  From now on my art biz list is going to be just as important as my "chore" list.

For some reason I seem to respond better if I call it a "list" as opposed to  my "goals".  I don't know if I feel too intimidated by the word "goal"  or if it sounds more unattainable and just out of reach, "list"   feels so much more doable to me and it feels like it has more priority and I should get to it right away!

With that being said, here is my to-do list for my biz for the  month of June:

1)  Change my mindset!  Take myself and my artwork more seriously!
2)  Order note cards and get them in my Etsy shop and at the local boutique where I sell my art.
3)  Submit artwork to Stampington & Company and to Cloth Paper Scissors. I've been wanting to
     do this for quite awhile.
4)  Find a resource for affordable frames for my artwork so I can frame them to display at local         
      businesses.
5)  Order supplies such as mattes, clear sleeves, envelopes etc.  (money is tight so I keep putting this
      off, but it then prevents me from selling more)
6)  Make list of things to do to prepare for art the Driftless Area Art Festival.

These items have been on my list of things to do for months!  Now that I've put it out there, I have to do it.  A nice little push for myself.  To some this may not seem like much, but with strawberries in full swing, (I spent at least 1 1/2 hrs this evening just picking them, now I have to do something with them, and tomorrow there will be more to pick!) the raspberries are just starting,  my days will be filled with picking, jamming, and freezing.  I seem to have so little time right now but I can do it!

What are your goals, or I should I say,  what is on your list for the month of June?

Top-2

1 comment:

Jane Moore Houghton said...

Oh the on-going fight between our many hats...You are not alone! Stay strong my creative sister. I wish you all the best in ticking off your "to-do" lists :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails