Tuesday, May 3, 2011

What month is it?

for flick copy

If someone told me today was really November 3rd, not May 3rd, I think I'd believe them.  The wind has a chill to it and in the morning we had off and on snow showers.  If I look around though, I can see signs that spring is trying to come.  My tulips are starting to open, the asparagus tops are peaking through, and the trees are desperately trying to open.  If we would have a few nice days in a row, I just know everything would burst wide open.  Our bird feeder is brimming with activity.  The pretty little house finch with its reddish head has been there and today we were visited by the bright yellow goldfinch and the rose-breasted grosbeak.  Between the birds and the squirrels, the seed has been disappearing fast.

This morning I dropped Fischer and Grandma off at the airport.  They are going to visit family in Bremerton, Washington.  My little guy will be gone for a whole week!  This is the longest he has been away from me.  I was missing him before he even left.  He's been away a few times for one or two nights.   It was hard holding back the tears, but I didn't want him to feel bad or start to second guess his decision.  Little Amelia didn't want her big brother to go either, and she didn't hide her tears.  They usually play pretty well together, so I know she's really going to miss him too. The week will go fast and he will have fun visiting the ocean, collecting shells and rocks, seeing all sorts of animal life along the ocean,  riding the ferry and airplanes,  and of course seeing his cousins.  He has done all this before, but he was between 2 and 3 years old, so he doesn't remember it.  I wish I could see the look on his face when he gets to experience all of this.  Instead he gets to spend some quality time with his grandma and this is something he will always remember.

1 comment:

Janet Ghio said...

It's so hard to watch them go!! but he will have a wonderful time with his grandma and you and Amelia will get to spend some time just the two of you. That will be nice!! I just adore your little birds!! This is one of my favorite paintings you have made. I am wondering about spring myself--we have a frost warning for tonight. At least we aren't having snow flurries!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails