Friday, June 10, 2011

Sewing Basket Surprise

This morning I was looking through my sewing supplies trying to find a hook-and-eye.  I only needed the hook part for my skirt that I was repairing.  I've never bought  this type of closure, but I knew I had to have it some where in all of my thrift store/garage sale sewing supplies.  I looked in a few places, but no luck.  I  then remembered I had my grandma's old sewing basket and figured there had to be one in there.  I found what I was looking for right away, but then something else caught my eye.  I saw lying there in the sewing basket, a little white envelope that said, Great Grandma on it.

DSC_0936[1]

I recognized my moms writing on it immediately and I felt a little excited.  It was hard to tell if the envelope had been opened or not, it was sealed shut a little bit, maybe from time? but it opened very easy.  Inside was a little Thank You card.

DSC_0946[1]

Now, my family has never been good at writing thank you cards and I don't remember ever having to write thank you cards, but before I even opened it, I knew it was from me and sure enough, there on the inside was my little kid handwriting!  I think it is so funny that I put my last name's initial on it!  Was this just in case she wasn't sure which Tammy it was?

DSC_0947[1]

I was just so tickled to find this.  The funny thing is, I've looked through this sewing basket many times before and for some strange reason I had never seen that little envelope and then to add to it all, I ended up finding a 2nd Thank You card.  This time it was from my cousin, and he too was thanking her for money.  His card had the date on it which was May 1979.  So I would have been 7 1/2 years old when I wrote that card.  Doesn't $4 seem like a lot for then?

I called my mom to tell her about what I found and she said my Great Grandma would keep all of her cards in their envelopes and would store them in all sorts of  places.   My Great Grandma loved to sew, especially embroider.    I'm lucky to have some of her pillowcases and hanker chiefs that she embroidered, along with some blankets she quilted and also crocheted.  What better place to find a long lost thank you card from me then in her sewing basket?!

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails