Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Some quick fixes

I love, love, love my new studio.  I find myself spending more time in it then I ever thought I would.  It's amazing how taking out the carpet and refinishing the floors can add so much to a room, both in look and in feel.  I was a little sad about moving everything out of our sunny kitchen, but I'm so much happier now that I don't spend almost my whole day in there!  At times I felt  like I never left that room, between cooking, eating and painting in there, yikes.  I didn't realize how much I really needed my own space.  It is so refreshing for me!

I just got back from my parents on Sunday afternoon, so yesterday was a day of laundry, unpacking and trying to get back into our rhythm.  After the kids were all tucked in, I was tired, but felt like I should do something with my time, but wasn't quite ready to dive into a new painting.  So instead I decided to do a few things to help spruce up my little space.

I keep my packaging and printing supplies in this beautiful hutch, and thought it was about time to put some fabric on the doors so everyone doesn't have to see all that stuff.  When I stepped back and had a look afterwards, I couldn't believe how something so simple made such a difference.  It really made me feel more calm and almost a sense of relief.


Picnik collage

So with one simple task completed, I moved onto the ugly throw pillows that we have had for years.  They are a wonderful size, but not very attractive.  It's been on my to-do list for years to sew some covers for them.   Lately sewing has not been my favorite thing to do, so I really had to sweet talk myself into doing this last night.  It took a lot of convincing, but I got it done.


Picnik collage

Much happier pillows don't you think?  The fabric choice isn't my favorite, but it was what I had in my stash.  I wanted a thicker fabric and lots of it, plus I already had it so I didn't have to buy anything.  There definitely not very fancy pillow covers, but they do the job.

Fischer said the most perfect thing this morning, while checking out the pillows in their reading corner, "These pillows look really comfy now, even though I know they are the same pillows."   

That was all that I needed to hear!


DSC_0258

3 comments:

Maureen Hayes said...

What great ideas! Simple fixes using what you have that really made a difference in ow things look, feel and function! I wish I had a room for a studio, I envy you!

Found your ite though BraveGirls and love it!

Unknown said...

Hi!
Saw your artwork on Brave Girls, and popped over for a visit. What a great blog! I love the photo of your girls laying on the pillows, they are so sweet.
xo
lynn

Rebecca said...

Hi Tammy ~ I saw your work featured over at Brave Girls and had to stop by. I too am an RN who left my "real" job 11 years ago to stay home with my kids and follow my heart. It's been the best decision ever! :)
So happy I stopped over..been looking around, reading, and enjoying your art this morning ~ love your work. It's been a great way to spend some quite time...Love the touches you made to your studio. It is amazing how just a few little touches can really make big changes isn't it?
Take care ~ Rebecca

Related Posts with Thumbnails