Friday, April 1, 2011

Cheerily, cheer up

I think Mother Nature decided to play a bit of an April Fool's joke on us here in Wisconsin.  I opened the blinds this morning and was shocked to see a totally white landscape spread out before me.  Fortunately it melted as the day went along, but what a dreary and damp day.  I had to keep reminding myself that yes, it is spring and it will warm up.
There was one day a few weeks ago that Amelia kept saying "cheer up, cheerily, cheer up", through out the day.   She had learned this little saying for the robins last year when we would listen to our bird CD, but it had been a long time since we had listened to it.  A few days later after she had been saying this , we saw our first robin.  It's kind of a strange little coincidence wouldn't you say?
I've always wondered why the state bird of Wisconsin is the robin, it's not the prettiest bird out there and it leaves us  for the winter.  Why not the bold little chickadee or the vibrant cardinal or even the noisy blue jay? They all brave  the tough Wisconsin winters, unlike the robin who heads for warmer weather.   This spring more than ever, I've come to realize the significance of the robin.  Everyone both young and old always looks forward to seeing their first robin of the spring, because it always means the same thing, that spring is here.  I love that their song is described as  "cheerily, cheer up, cheer up, cheerily", because that is what we do when we see our first robin of the spring.

cheer up

1 comment:

Janet Ghio said...

Love what you did with your little Robin!! I hope winter is finally behind us!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails